[Qgis-psc] Centenery celebration of Białowieża National Park (Poland) and QGIS.

Michał Drożdż michal.drozdz at gis-support.pl
Thu Apr 8 02:37:17 PDT 2021

Hi All!

I got a very unique request for help from my colleague from polish Forest
Research Institute. It is a short story behind that.

There is a small superb village in eastern Poland: Białowieża
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bia%C5%82owie%C5%BCa It is headquarter
of Białowskeski National Park (considered as one of the oldest NP in the
world). Due to its location and outstanding nature, Białowieża is home for
several science institutions (e.g. Mammal Research Institute
https://ibs.bialowieza.pl/en/). As for village for 2000 inhabitants, aumout
of scientists among them is higher than average :) They do a lot of
interesting things, like Open Forest Data: https://openforestdata.pl/

Scientific life, love of nature and living in remote place is not the only
thing that connects them. They all use QGIS in their daily work.

Białowieża National Park celebrates its centenary this year. There was a
plan to organize QGIS User Conference (I filled the form at the the end of
2019) as one of the celebration events but then a virus came...

The idea is still alive and there is a strong willingness to organize User
Conference in Białowieża when it will be possible, but for now question is
difference: Is there any way to release QGIS named after Białowieża Forest
this year to "virtually promote" the heritage of ancient Puszcza
Białowieska: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bia%C5%82owie%C5%BCa_Forest)

I know that QGIS has its "naming schema" based on cities where QGIS
meetings were organized. Maybe no possibility of an on-place meeting is a
trigger for change for important places for natural heritage and climate
changes?

What do you think about that?

--

*Michał Drożdż*