[Qgis-psc] Question: review of standard development rates for 2022?

Saber Razmjooei saber.razmjooei at lutraconsulting.co.uk
Mon Dec 20 05:04:07 PST 2021

Hi Nyall,

Thanks for raising this matter.

It is indeed a delicate issue, on one hand, we should be careful of the
QGIS.org budget. On the other hand, all the developers who work on bug
fixing and PR reviews are very capable and can easily earn more than the
current rate.

My suggestion is to have a one-off raise of rates to compensate for the
last few years. And maybe an annual increase (2-5% depending on average
inflation) from thereafter.

Kind regards
Saber

On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 at 08:00, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:

> Hi Nyall,
>
> We can certainly revise the rates from time to time.
>
> It is also clear that rates and inflation rates are different in different
> parts of the world - on the other side - most of our devs who participate
> in the bug fixing effort seem to be in the Euro zone or Australia in your
> case.
>
> Any suggestions for a revised rate? 110? 120?
>
> At the beginning - when we introduced the rates - we already communicated
> that the rates would be lower than the normal industry rates, which are
> probably somewhere between 150 and 220.
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2021-12-20 05:42, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>
> Hi PSC!
>
> ...This is a somewhat tricky email to write, but I think it's an
> important discussion we need to discuss whatever the outcome...
>
> The standard rate paid by QGIS.org for development tasks like the
> pre-release bug fixing sprints (100EU/hour) has remained unchanged for
> a number of years now (at least since 2016).
>
> Unfortunately, what with 2020/21 being what they were, many countries
> have seen a dramatic rise in inflation and all signs are that prices
> will continue to rise over 2022.
>
> Accordingly, can I ask the PSC to consider reviewing this rate in
> 2022, and whether it's appropriate to adjust accordingly? (Obviously
> this would impact the project budget, so I would suggest any change in
> rate would be accompanied by a corresponding adjustment in the number
> of contracted development hours to fit the budgeted totals).
>
> Thanks for the consideration!
> Nyall

Saber Razmjooei
www.lutraconsulting.co.uk