[Qgis-psc] Rethink using github discussions?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 15:56:16 PST 2021

On Mon, 8 Feb 2021 at 09:25, Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Nyall,
>
> discussions were activated recently by Tim, if I'm not wrong.
>
> I have no strong opinions about it,  one good thing is that we can move tickets (from the bug tracker, for example any time a user wrongly post a question instead of a report) to discussions. We cannot move questions wrongly posted in the tracker to SE. Not saying that this alone justify keeping discussions, just pointing that is a nice feature.

Yeah, I can definitely concede that point.

But on the other hand a question/issue like
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/discussions/41400 should really just be
closed. That user will NEVER get the answer they are looking for on
either a QGIS ticket or the github discussion. There's a (small)
chance they'll get an answer on the dev list, but in my experience
with questions of this nature it's extremely unlikely. So I think
really the best response to a ticket like this would be closing with a
reply like:

"This tracker is for QGIS issues only. For questions of this nature
please use gis.stackexchange, the QGIS dev mailing list or QGIS user
mailing. If you're still searching for answers, we suggest engaging a
QGIS Commercial Support provider to assist with your solution".

That's my 2c at least :)

Nyall