[Qgis-psc] Google

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Tue Jan 25 13:34:24 PST 2022

Hi Gary and Richard

Yes this is going to affect us. In my company we also have the legacy
Google Apps for Domains. I believe we have around 6 months to make an
alternative plan of:

1) Buying a subscription for each QGIS.org email account (probably we would
need one per PSC member who are the only ones actively using such accounts
I think.
2) Migrating to another platform for email and cloud storage

For email I reckon we could probably ask OSGEO to see if they can support
us. For cloud storage we would need to migrate content over to another
platform (or git could be nice, I don't think there is much in the way of
private content in the cloud storage). There was a previous initiative to
look at NextCloud but there was no plan to manage the migration
systematically. I can say from using NextCloud in our company for some
years that it is pretty good for file sync but pretty bad for collaborative
editing. Simpler would be to switch to Syncthing for file syncing, which we
use a lot and works very well and some markdown collaborative editor like
https://hedgedoc.org/ for communal editing. Hedgedoc seems really great
except when I tested it I could not find a way to create folder structures.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up Richard, let's see what others in the PSC
wish to do....

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 7:38 PM Gary Sherman <gsherman at geoapt.com> wrote:

> I’ll defer to Tim for that answer—I haven’t been involved with that in
> years :)
>
> -gary
>
> > On Jan 25, 2022, at 10:36 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <richard at duif.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > I did not mean the mailing lists itself, but the google admin interface
> in which we 'define' the mail groups like 'admin at qgis.org' etc and the
> psc mailing adresses etc etc
> > See screenshot
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > On 1/25/22 20:17, Gary Sherman wrote:
> >> In the beginning, all of the mailing lists used Mailman. I think most
> are still are. You can view the list here:
> >> If a mailing list isn't shown on that page, I don't know what/where/how
> it's implemented.
> >> -gary

> use google translate ;-) )
> >>>

> https://tweakers.net/nieuws/192254/google-stopt-met-gratis-legacyversie-van-g-suite-zet-gebruikers-naar-workspace.html

> > <Screenshot-20220125203238-1413x929.png>

​

 * Desktop GIS programming services
 * Geospatial web development
* GIS Training