[Qgis-psc] Paid bugfixing guidelines

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Sat Oct 22 03:07:29 PDT 2022

Dear core developers,

Recent discussions on what can and should be fixed under the bug-fixing
program have shown that we need a clearer ruleset to help make the most
significant impact with our little budget.

The PSC has thoroughly analyzed the ongoing discussions and decided to set
these guidelines for the paid bug-fixing program:

   - Developers participating in the bug-fixing programme should focus on
   bugs in areas where they have deep expertise to bring maximum value to the
   project through their work.
   - Regular community contributing developers who want to participate in
   the paid bug fixing will have priority. There is an explicit expectation
   that developers participating in the bug-fixing programme are "ready to
   roll" in terms of having a productive development workflow in place,
   familiarity with community norms, and generally participating in a low / no
   friction way.
   - Grant proposals are the appropriate way to introduce infrastructure
   improvements (like CI improvements). The bug-fixing programme aim is making
   QGIS users' experience better by reducing the amount of user facing bugs in
   QGIS.

QGIS.org has a limited budget, and we must consciously use it where it
makes the most impact.

We hope this set of guidelines will improve the situation even more and
that, thanks to them, your fantastic effort to make QGIS better can be even
more impactful!

On behalf of the PSC,
Have a great weekend

Marco