[Qgis-psc] QGIS grant report: Fix handling of provider default value clauses/Autogenerate/nextval(...) handling

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 19:42:59 PDT 2022

HI PSC,

I'd like to report the current status of the grant project: "QGIS grant
report: Fix handling of provider default value
clauses/Autogenerate/nextval(...) handling" (see
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/247)

The bulk of these changes landed in the QGIS 3.28 release, and we should
start seeing a decrease in the number of related issues.

A quick way to demonstrate on of the issues fixed is:

- open a geopackage file
- start editing the layer, add some features to it, but don't save the edits
- right click the edited layer and try to save it to a different file

On older qgis releases you'll be spammed with a number of error messages
because we tried to write a string value of "Autogenerate" into a number
field for all the newly created features. On QGIS 3.28 this all just works
as expected, with no errors encountered.

While the bulk of this work is now complete, I've allowed for some of the
grant funding to cover all required follow up work as the new approach gets
wider testing in a stable release. Accordingly I'll be monitoring any
related incoming bug reports and addressing them as part of the grant funds.

Thanks again for the opportunity to undertake this work!

Nyall