[Qgis-psc] QGIS grant report: Fix handling of provider default value clauses/Autogenerate/nextval(...) handling

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Oct 24 00:04:04 PDT 2022

Hi Nyall,

A big and warm thanks for tackling this, it has bugged me more than once.
Beyond the improved user experience, I'm glad to see the API is done in a
clean way.

Bests
Matthias

On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 4:43 AM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI PSC,
>
> I'd like to report the current status of the grant project: "QGIS grant
> report: Fix handling of provider default value
> clauses/Autogenerate/nextval(...) handling" (see
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/247)
>
> The bulk of these changes landed in the QGIS 3.28 release, and we should
> start seeing a decrease in the number of related issues.
>
> A quick way to demonstrate on of the issues fixed is:
>
> - open a geopackage file
> - start editing the layer, add some features to it, but don't save the
> edits
> - right click the edited layer and try to save it to a different file
>
> On older qgis releases you'll be spammed with a number of error messages
> because we tried to write a string value of "Autogenerate" into a number
> field for all the newly created features. On QGIS 3.28 this all just works
> as expected, with no errors encountered.
>
> While the bulk of this work is now complete, I've allowed for some of the
> grant funding to cover all required follow up work as the new approach gets
> wider testing in a stable release. Accordingly I'll be monitoring any
> related incoming bug reports and addressing them as part of the grant funds.
>
> Thanks again for the opportunity to undertake this work!
>
> Nyall

 <https://qfield.org/get/>

QFIELD 2.0 IS HERE! - Hold the power of QGIS in
your hand - learn more
<https://www.opengis.ch/2022/04/05/qfield-2-0-is-here/> - get it now
<https://qfield.org/get>