[qgis-qwc2] Status check qwc2

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 04:58:19 PDT 2017

Hi

On 24.08.2017 13:45, Karl Magnus Jönsson wrote:

> Hi all!
> We are about to decide what our next step for QWC2 will be. It would
> be valuable knowing what other people planning, doing and using the
> project. I have a few questions:
>
> ·Is there any plans for development in the near future and what is the
> focus then?

We at Sourcepole will be doing some development this fall focusing on
various topics, among the most interesting ones perhaps stuff like
editing, importing external WMS layers, visualizing height profiles.

I suppose Kanton Zug has a good example: https://services.geo.zg.ch/qwc2

> ·Our approach to get good performance in our previous clients is to
> seed and cache requests for the layers in the map. In qwc2 every
> change in layer visibility or transparency results in a new request
> that is hard to cache efficient. I suppose that is an intended
> behavior. How are you thinking about getting good performance and user
> experience?

I suppose the alternative is be to have one WMS request for each layer
instead of one request for all layers, which is easier to cache but
performs worse if no cache is available.

> ·Another concern is how to customize without interfering too much with
> the code. For example if we want to develop an alternative layer tree
> widget. Could we just add our module and turn off the present without
> destroying it’s functionality? Is the code enough flexible and
> modular? Maybe a tricky question to answer. But the intention from the
> beginning was to have a flexible and modular client.

The codebase is modular, see [1], components are self-contained (as far
as it makes sense) and can be individually activated/deactivated/replaced.

Hope this helps
Sandro

[1] https://github.com/qgis/qwc2/tree/master/QWC2Components/plugins