[Qgis-tr] String update request due to Sextante renaming

Artem Popov artfwo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 02:11:49 PDT 2013

2013/8/26 Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de>:
> Hi Werner,
>
> On Mon, 26. Aug 2013 at 09:09:11 +0200, Werner Macho wrote:
>> For Artem:
>> As there was a complete renaming of SEXTANTE into "processing" it would
>> be good to include those changes too .. but
>>
>> qgsrasterrenderer.cpp:232:5: error: ?QgsRasterInterface::tr? does not
>> have class type
>
>> currently reverting the commit .. (should first try everything in it's
>> own branch) :)
>
> Hrmpf.  QCoreApplication::translate ( "QgsRasterRenderer", string, comment )
> instead of tr( string, comment ) would have worked.  Now that's conflicting ;)
>
> But looking more closely, that's unfinished anyway.  A correct translation
> would have been impossible in German anyway.
>
> "Estimated" "commulative cut" would need to be "Geschätze_r_ kommulativer
> Schnitt" while "Estimated" "standard deviation" would need to be "Geschätze
> Standardabweichung".  Hence require two different translations for "Estimated",
> which doesn't work...

Right, it's also hard to translate to Russian as is, but my proposal
leaves at least some freedom to the translator. Take a look at the
following example:

if original string:
"%1 %2" is unrolled to ->
      "estimated cumulative cut"

then it may be translated to:
"precision: %1; origin: %2"  and this is unrolled to ->
      "precision: estimated; origin: cumulative cut"

The 2nd variant is already suitable for much broader spectrum of
languages, don't you think? And since the current approach won't allow
adding extra words or changing their order, that should be fixed
anyway for this release or in the future. I'm gonna prepare an updated
pull request anyway, because it improves the current state of things
at least somehow.

I've also got a question about the entire Processing rename issue - is
Processing now a generic name that implies a category of tasks (as in
Geoprocessing or Analysis) or is it a unique module name (as in
fTools)?

--Artem