[Qgis-tr] Tool to help users find out what terms are translated to

Stott, James fmrojst at fylkesmannen.no
Sun Jul 6 02:26:12 PDT 2014

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked which menus items someone needed to select to achieve a task in QGIS. I couldn't tell them instantly as I couldnt remember what exactly we had translated them to. The tutorial was in English, and they were trying to use our translated GUI. I was a little bit embarassed by this seeing as I am part of the team that translated the GUI.

I had to revert QGIS back to English, find the menu options, and then tell them what they were in Norwegian.

This got me thinking about whether it would be worthwhile to have a tool that can help people find what menu items are translated to in the different languages that QGIS is translated into. I have used a tool that Microsoft have for their products (http://www.microsoft.com/Language/en-US/Default.aspx), and it was incredibly helpful when I first moved here. I also found this tool useful for Excel to find the names of the functions http://dolf.trieschnigg.nl/excel/index.php.

Do we need something similar for QGIS? Is it helpful? What with most of the tutorials being written in English, our users of translated GUIs can struggle to find out what the menu items they need to use are (especially if the user manual has not been translated yet).

I am happy to coordinate something like this if people think it is of use, but I may struggle with actually implementing it (happy to have a go though - just might not be very elegant). Ideally the data would come directly from transifex or something like that.

Regards,

James