[Qgis-tr] Looking for advices to avoid breaking translated strings

Sveinn í Felli sv1 at fellsnet.is
Thu Dec 22 06:02:28 PST 2016

Þann fim 22.des 2016 13:31, skrifaði DelazJ:
<snip>...
> But there's not only "cellsize" typo; we have rationalize, analyze,
> flavour, behaviour, favourite, neighbour, cancelled, check-box, and many
> other spelling issues...
> I do not think that all languages have enough active translators to redo
> their work. So is there a way to keep translations?
>
> I've been thinking about a process and wonder if it'll work (and will
> require someone with write access):
> - Pull translations from Transifex
> - have a PR in which besides fixing strings in the source code, their
> duplicate in /i18n folder are also fixed. In this case the .ts file
> contains the cleaned text linked to the existing translation
> - then merge the commit
> - and push it again to transifex
...</snip>

I'm not much into the Qt-way of doing things, but at least in Gettext
(and thus Transifex) I think that if the programmable context of the
string (types, classes, pointers, object, etc) does not change, then the
translated string (message) would only become fuzzy (unfinished, not
ready) and still be present but requiring intervention on the translator
side to make it valid again.

This is being done in other software projects, over and over. Sometimes
it happens without fuzzying all the messages, so there must be a way to
do it unintrusively, which is what we'd like to happen here.

But as I said, the interaction between Transifex and Qt may be different.

Best regards,

Sveinn í Felli