[Qgis-tr] Removing unused strings from Transifex

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Oct 2 10:47:21 PDT 2018

Hi Carlos,

On Tue, 02. Oct 2018 at 13:50:11 +0200, Carlos Dávila wrote:
> From time to time I face an issue related to old strings that remain in
> Transifex but are not used anymore in QGIS. I agree these strings may be
> useful as a reference, but at some moment we should clean all those unused
> strings as they are not distinguishable from "real" ones and thus require to
> be translated.

No only for reference.  I think they are also suggested for new strings that
are (ie. when strings are updated to title case, ... is changed to … or
rephrased etc.).

> At least they should be clearly marked as unused, so that they can be skipped
> while translating.

In the ts files they are marked as "vanished" or "obsolete".  I added a script
to add a comment to such translations.   In transifex it shows as part of
context in "More info".    Unfortunately now transifex thinks that there was
also a string change - but it suggests the original translation.

> Currently we have over 30000 strings in Transifex. How many of them are
> really used in QGIS? I don't have a real number, but I'm afraid no more than
> 50%.

30065 source strings in qgis_en.ts pulled from transifex
9397 translations marked vanished
6 obsolete
20662 used translations.

IOW

$ tx pull -s -l none
NFO: Pulling translations for resource QGIS.qgis-application (source: i18n/qgis_en.ts)
tx WARNING:  -> en: i18n/qgis_en.ts
tx INFO: Done.
$ grep "<translation" i18n/qgis_en.ts | wc -l
30065
$ grep "<translation" i18n/qgis_en.ts | grep 'type="obsolete"' | wc -l
6
$ grep "<translation" i18n/qgis_en.ts | grep 'type="vanished"' | wc -l
9398
$ lrelease i18n/qgis_en.ts
Updating 'i18n/qgis_en.qm'...
    Generated 20662 translation(s) (20662 finished and 0 unfinished)

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode