[QGIS-trac] Re: [Quantum GIS] #3296: Areas and length from field calculator are different to derived or measuared results, when on the fly projection is on

Quantum GIS qgis at qgis.org
Thu Dec 9 02:28:09 EST 2010

#3296: Areas and length from field calculator are different to derived or
measuared results, when on the fly projection is on
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
   Reporter:  gespiel                           |              Owner:  jef
       Type:  enhancement                       |             Status:  new
   Platform:  Windows                           |           Must_fix:  No
Status_info:  0                                 |
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------

Comment(by zicke):

 I still think it's a bit confusing that you get different results when OTF
 enabled or not. I have two coordinates: 600000/200000 and 600100/200000.
 When OTF is disabled I measure 100 meters, when OTF is enabled I get
 100.1565 meters. I definitely prefer 100 meters :-) Is the OTF-enabled
 distance the distance on the ellipsoid?

 At least you should have the possibility to choose what kind of result you
 want (even when OTF is enabled).

 Stefan

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/3296#comment:3>