[Qgis-us-user] I am a beginner GIS person....HELP

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Mon Jun 4 17:16:50 PDT 2018

Hey - welcome to the group!

So I'm going to assume you're working in shapefiles - do this.

1. Click on Layer at the top of QGIS

2. Click on Create Layer -> New Shapefile

3. You will need to supply a projection and pick if you want points,
lines, or polygon (hint polygon). From there you just need to edit your
new layer. Click the Pencil (toggle editing) and use the add feature
tool to draw it. Don't forget to save.

Randy

On 06/04/2018 05:55 PM, etvander65 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hello – I have only taken one class on GIS and then downloaded QGIS.
> I was able to download files to create a base map (which includes
> houses).  What I am trying to do is draw a polygon around certain
> groups of houses to highlight them. I know I need more instruction. I
> am lost. Help if you can.  Thank you.
>
> Eric T. Vander Velde (KK6YVS)
>
> Geologist
>
> 1059 New York Drive