[Qgis-us-user] Extracting Google Maps/Timeline data

karsten karsten at terragis.net
Mon Mar 22 12:26:37 PDT 2021

Hi Alex,

I have to admit that I never looked at such data from Goggle before (nor did
I know how big brother like this is, at least you need to activate on the
phone the tracking).
That said I took  a brief look at it and form the timeline Google page you
can export that to a  kml format (Google earth format). This results in
potentially huge files and a very verbose format. Alternatively check if you
can export as a comma separated text file (csv) directly from there
(including the x/y location columns)

You can load such a kml into QGIS natively (add vector file), form there you
might be able to export to excel as attribute only and then save in that
format and do the next (scrubbing) step in excel or libre office. Those data
you should then be able to load into QGIS as csv files
see and example here
https://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/importing_spreadsheets_csv.html

If you need more help you are welcome to contact me off channel privately by
email ;)

Cheers
Karsten

  _____