[Qgis-us-user] Heat Maps

karsten karsten at terragis.net
Fri May 21 11:44:15 PDT 2021

Hi Michael,

you could convert the raster data to point vector layers (not sure how big
your data is and why you don't have have camera location as vector ...).
and could work the point layer directly...

But to your question: a simple csv file to load into QGIS could look like
this:

id,x_coordinate,y_coordinate,cat species
101,-34.636854,48.468562 ,cat1
102,-122.350595,45.581067,cat2
103,-122.448685,45.582003,cat3
104,-122.320488,45.583881,cat2

To load use the import csv button. see e.g. here
https://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/3/importing_spreadsheets_csv.html

Note that the process would then create one point for each cat sighting at
each camera (so that would duplicate points if there was more then one
sighting at a location/ camera).

A way to avoid that would be to load a csv file of all camera location e.g.
like this

camera locations table
camera_id,x_coordinate,y_coordinate
1,-34.636854,48.468562
2,-122.350595,45.581067
3,-122.448685,45.582003
4,-122.320488,45.583881

and a cat sightings table
sighting_id,camera_idx_coordinate,y_coordinate,cat species
101,1,-34.636854,48.468562 ,cat1
102,1,-122.350595,45.581067,cat2
103,2,-122.448685,45.582003,cat3
104,3,-122.320488,45.583881,cat2

and then join a second csv (or excel spread sheet) to the camera_id field
see tutorial here
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/performing_table_joins.html
or simpler explanation here https://guides.library.duke.edu/QGIS/Joins

You could then also generate  a number of sightings to each camera location
to create a heat map...

Let me know that makes sense and help you out

Cheers
Karsten

  _____