[Qgis-us-user] New to QGIS and Spatial analysis

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Tue Mar 15 08:09:30 PDT 2022

That's awesome.

Google imagery (assuming you're using QuickMapServices) is pushed through a service
and I think those services are usually pretty locked down with licensing plus it's a service
so it's just harder to deal with.

So I **think** you can purchase Google imagery - not sure of the cost.
Depending on where you are and what you're doing here's what I would do:

1. Check with the local City/County and see if they have imagery. It will be probably 6 inch
to 1 foot in resolution. There may be a charge or it may be free. Example:  Hamilton
County TN has an image service that QGIS can use and they sell imagery.

2. Check with the state you are in and see what they have. I would search for "State of
Mike GIS Data" (with Mike being the state you're in) and see what pops up. Example: The
state has an imagery service and they sell imagery to the general public and to counties.
for download also.

3. Federal is the next step - NAIP (1 meter). That's free and may be awesome for what you
want or may not be. https://www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/aerial-photography/imagery-programs/naip-imagery/[1]

4. Weird use cases that may have imagery in the area - like some utilities will fly their own
imagery and have that available if you ask nice (I was a former Federal Utility Employee in
Tennessee which had some gas turbines).

5. Landsat will completely work but I think that may still be 30 meter pixel size - but it's
free. There are some other satellite imagery that is free also - you're just trading resolution
for cost.

6. Planet labs sells imagery - but not sure of the cost on that on either.

Yeah - that's the hard part -  imagery. Software is easy - imagery makes my head hurt.

Randy

rjhale at northrivergeographic.com<mailto:rjhale at northrivergeographic.com>.