[Qgis-user] Postgres dependency on mac build

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Apr 20 11:21:15 PDT 2008

Puzzling why it's not finding Postgres without any options.

But, the CONFIG option should point to a file (pg_config), not a
folder. (Same goes for library options, but not for include dir options)

I've noticed that the "Found ..." feedback is not always correct, or
you just have to read more into what it says.  Like your Postgres
response: it says "it's a directory", which can mean "it's not
supposed to be a directory".

Also, when reconfiguring, make sure to clean first, or it may remember
the previous configuration.  Cleaning is not thorough in cmake, so the
easiest way is to build outside the source.  ie:

in the qgis source dir,

mkdir build-osx
cd build-osx
cmake [your options] ..

(note the .. instead of . for the source dir option)  Then you can
just trash the contents on build-osx to clean, before reconfiguring.

On Apr 20, 2008, at 12:58 PM, John Abraham wrote:

> Thanks for the hint.  I can't see a difference (svn diff) between
> the two cmake directories.
>
> I tried deleting my build directory, and redoing the cmake command
> with -D POSTGRES_CONFIG=/usr/local/pgsql/  and it responded
>
> -- Found PostgreSQL: sh: /usr/local/pgsql: is a directory/libpq.dylib
>
> but then I got the same error (below) when I ran make :(
>
> --
> John
>
> [ 43%] Building CXX object src/app/CMakeFiles/qgis.dir/qgisapp.o
> In file included from /Users/jabraham/Development/qgis/src/src/app/
> qgisapp.cpp:168:
> /Users/jabraham/Development/qgis/src/src/app/qgsdbsourceselect.h:
> 27:22: error: libpq-fe.h: No such file or directory
> /Users/jabraham/Development/qgis/src/src/app/qgsdbsourceselect.h:
> 112: error: ‘PGconn’ has not been declared
> /Users/jabraham/Development/qgis/src/src/app/qgsdbsourceselect.h:
> 118: error: ‘PGconn’ has not been declared
> /Users/jabraham/Development/qgis/src/src/app/qgsdbsourceselect.h:
> 141: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘PGconn’ with no type
> /Users/jabraham/Development/qgis/src/src/app/qgsdbsourceselect.h:
> 141: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
> make[2]: *** [src/app/CMakeFiles/qgis.dir/qgisapp.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [src/app/CMakeFiles/qgis.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> On 20-Apr-08, at 10:34 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> I think there was a fix for this recently in trunk, and maybe it's
>> not in the diagram branch.  The release tag works fine.  You could
>> try grabbing cmake/FindPostgres.cmake from trunk to replace what
>> you have in the diagram branch.
>>
>> On Apr 20, 2008, at 11:03 AM, John Abraham wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to build the "diagram" branch on MacOSX Leopard.  I
>>> followed the instructions in the docs, and did get it compiled and
>>> running.  I'm pretty proud of myself since I haven't programmed in
>>> C for a decade or so (java programmer now.)
>>>
>>> Except there is one problem.  The Postgres stuff wasn't found by
>>> cmake, so there was no Postgis support in my build.
>>>
>>> So I tried to set up cmake to find my postgres.  I found the file
>>> FindPostgres.cmake and found that it uses environment variables,
>>> so tried to set those using -D options to cmake.  Now it won't
>>> compile at all, with the following error.  I do have a libpq-fe.h
>>> in /usr/local/pgsql/include.  I didn't make Postgres from source,
>>> just installed it.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help,
>>> --
>>> John Abraham
>>> jabraham at ucalgary.ca
>>
>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> Earth: "Mostly harmless"
>>
>> - revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war