[Qgis-user] QGis locking up files on network drive

Nome Nescio frohan2000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 01:13:22 PDT 2008

Hello, first post on this list for me!

I have a question regarding how QGis accesses files. When working on maps
and using standardized background themes (shp), QGis seems to lock up these
files so that no other instances of software can access them. I.e. if User 1
adds G:\Lakes.shp into his Qgis session, no other Users can access the file.
I can see how this could be a feature to prevent corrupt files, possibly in
cases of parallell edits, but f. ex. ArcMap does not enforce this
limitation. Also, we have been using the aforementioned method of having
themes not-supposed-to-be-edited on our server for years without bad
incidents. Is Qgis' exclusive accessing of shapefiles necessary?

With regards,

Frode Hansen