[Qgis-user] GPS Plugin - QGIS 0.11- Mac OSX.5.4

Mars Sjoden amagine at telus.net
Tue Aug 12 22:16:23 PDT 2008

Hello Q list,

I am having difficulty getting the GPS Plugin working for downloading
from my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx

I have gpsbabel version 1.3.4 installed and active on my PATH.
(long story but the new v1.3.5 does not work on my iMac)

I am able to use gpsbabel just fine from the command line. ie.
downloads and uploads fine from/to my gps.

I am pretty sure this is not a gpsbabel issue as far as I can tell.

So I launch the GPS Plugin "GPS Tools"

Select "Download from GPS" tab.

Select Garmin  from the GPS device button list.

Port (There are no choices here from the button list)

Feature type: Waypoints

I tried the original setup and receive this output:

The layer is not a valid layer and can not
be added to the map

I decided to add a gpx layer to QGIS, and name it as the layer for
output.  Same output.

I then edited the device to look like, for example waypoint download:

gpsbabel -w -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx %out

I still receive the same output as above.

I am wondering what I am doing wrong here,
how can I get this working?

I can remember using the gps plugin in 0.8 and it working slick with
out any need for fiddling.

thank you!

mars