[Qgis-user] Why not in the forum? / Problem in Kubuntu

Michael Neubauer Neubauer-Michael at gmx.net
Sat Jun 7 08:18:31 PDT 2008

Dear qgis-user list,

I don't remember how I got the idea to subscribe to this user list...but it
was a good idea, because a lot of interesting things worth knowing are
discussed. But very often I ask myself, why problems and questions about the
program and the plugins are not discussed in the forum. This would have
several advantages:
1. solved problems, hints and advises can be found via search engine in the
internet
2. it is a lot easier to follow the threads
and 3. it is preserved better for the future. Often I find things interesting,
but have no direct use for it. And then, when I remember it and want to read
it again, it is a lot harder to search all the mails in my mail folder than
to just remember the thread in the forum or search for it...

So my suggestion is, to discuss more in the forum! This would help me and also
a lot of other users, when they try to figure out their problems searching in
the internet.

And now,
as a second thing, very selfish, I will also ask for help in this list:
To all the people who use (k)ubuntu!
Dos your Qgis run well and do you have the "backports repositories" in your
sources.list?

I described my problem already in the forum:
http://forum.qgis.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=798
but unfortunately I did not get any answer yet.

Now I have the idea, that this might be related to package-dependencies which
were caused by getting the "backports" updates. Especially I suspect
something with the Qt4 libraries.
Does anybody know about a problem like this and how to find out to solve it?

Thank you very much for your attention!!
micha