[Qgis-user] Feature enhancement/request for QGIS digitizing toolbox

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Nov 17 00:00:45 PST 2008

Hi,

> I use QGIS extensively for digitizing.  Hope this request is valid as
> an ehancement to QGIS digitizing tools.
>
> 1. Stream-mode digitizing

I wonder if stream-mode is really that useful. In my experience, at least
when working with mouse - stream-mode digitizing is not very accurate and
creates not-very optimal results.

It might be different with a wacom-like tablet and a pen, though.

Are you using one of those digitizing pens?

> 2. Adding regular polygons (ala-CAD) like arcs and rectangles

arcs would be very useful. I would also like to see better arc-support in
open source GIS - but the problem is that all the underlying libraries (at
least ogr and proj, I am not sure about geos) do not support arcs and
other curves. This means that arcs probably at the current time have to be
transformed into regular polygons with lots of vertices.

> Maybe we can get some inspiration from JOSM (OSM's java editor)
yes, maybe.

Andreas

--
Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 Grüt/Gossau, Switzerland