[Qgis-user] Big sharing problem - Slow when data are shared in more than one user - QGIS 0.11

Michael Toews mwtoews at sfu.ca
Thu Nov 27 08:48:53 PST 2008

Hi Fran,

Just a related thought, if you haven't checked out PostGIS, you might
want to consider it. I've brought it into my workplace, and now we have
several people using the same data set (from different offices too).
Speed is generally pretty good, and I cannot notice if 1 or 10 people
are using it. I set most layers as read-only using a select-only role,
while managers can add and edit layers if they login. In addition, we
have ArcGIS and AutoCAD Map 3D users which can also use the same spatial
database (with extra software and database setup, mind you).

QGIS has a SPIT plugin for easy uploading of shapefiles to a PostGIS
server. The only investment is figuring out PostGIS and PostgreSQL. I
have found the time learning this side of spatial data management well
invested, but certainly a steep learning curve. There are a few
tutorials available on the web to get you started, such as:
http://www.foss4g2007.org/workshops/W-04/ (see Materials at bottom).

-Mike