[Qgis-user] snapping, revisited

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat Nov 29 13:10:53 PST 2008

Setting snapping options has been discussed in the past, especially
since the introduction of snapping for each layer individually. Yet, I
think it's still not quite complete. There are two separate operations
mixed together: the mouse tolerance, and snapping. What we have now is:
*  Setting snapping in the project settings (Settings->Project
Properties->General) correctly overides the Global settings. So if I
enter some number in the project properties windows, snapping works,
regardless of the Global snapping setting. And if I have '0' in the
project properties settings, there is no snapping, again regardless of
the global settings.

*  The global settings (Settings->Options->Digitizing) allow to set
mouse tolerance for tools like the information button, and the Delete
Vertex tool in editing. This isn't actually snapping, to my mind, and
might cause confusion.

So my questions/suggestions are:
Why not call the global setting what it really is: mouse or cursor
tolerance. (currently called "Default search radius")
Is the global snapping ("default snapping mode" and "Default snapping
tolerance") setting really necessary? It doesn't actually do anything.
Is it possible to set some sane default number for the "search radius"
rather than zero? After each install, when you first try the information
button, you get the popup window suggesting to set the "search radius".
You have to check the scale, calculate some logical number for the
search radius, then open Options-> etc.  to set the default. Could be a
bit of a stumbling block for beginning users.

Regards,
Micha