[Qgis-user] snapping, revisited

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sat Nov 29 22:43:16 PST 2008

Micha Silver wrote:
> There are two separate operations
> mixed together: the mouse tolerance, and snapping.

Thanks for bringing this up -- this is an oddity that has confused me
from the early days of the editing branch.

snapping and "mouse tolerance" are completely different concepts and
should be handled separately.

> Is it possible to set some sane default number for the "search radius"
> rather than zero? After each install, when you first try the information
> button, you get the popup window suggesting to set the "search radius".
> You have to check the scale, calculate some logical number for the
> search radius, then open Options-> etc.  to set the default. Could be a
> bit of a stumbling block for beginning users.

absolutely -- and besides not having a default -- it makes little sense.
mouse tolerance should be in pixel units, and be completely scale
independent. In fact, you need this so that if you need to distinguish
between two points that are close together, you can zoom in to make the
appear farther apart.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax