[Qgis-user] Slow file browsing on Windows and Samba

Magnus Homann magnus at homann.se
Sun Oct 5 14:25:06 PDT 2008

Hi all,
I have problems with bfile browinsg (e.g. adding vecotr layers) running
Windows XP and contacting Samba file server. The time it takes for the
files to show up in file dialog is around 1 minute or more for a
directory of 50 files. During that time, the dialog is locked and does
not update.

Browsing with Windows explorer is fast.

Snooping the network traffic, I count about 50.000 ethernet frames to
list these 50 files from within Qgis. Using windws explorer, it's more
like 200 frames.

I'm not sure if it's a Qgis problem, a Qt problem, a WinXp problem or a
Samba problem. If anyone is using Windows XP and Samba, can you please
tell me your experiences?

Magnus