[Qgis-user] 1.0 preview disappointment

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 01:44:25 PDT 2008

Hi all!

Got word of the preview and immediately set off to test the style file feature.
The strange implementation of this feature was a serious setback in an
ongoing project, and I have described the problem on the Quantum Gis
forum.
I am working in a Windows XP SP3 enviroment.

I find to my great disappointment that the feature works exactly as
before, that is in 0.11.0 metis version.
That is, works not at all, or in a way whose objective is unknown and
unexplained.
There can be a number of reasons for this.

1 the rewritten module is not included in the preview (hopefully)
2 the rewrite has failed to solve the problem
3 the coder has failed to understand the problem and has not attempted
to solve it
4 no rewrite has taken place
5 the feature works exactly as intended, even if that intention is
incomprehensible

Please clarify.

For those not familiar with the problem:
The style file intends to save maplayer settings, conceivably for the
purpose of applying such settings to equivalent map layers.
However, since the mapsource and layername are stored as well, any
attempt to apply the style file to another maplayer completely messes
up the layer handling and destroys the project file.

Regards, Mats.E