[Qgis-user] (no subject)

Tom Elwertowski telwertowski at comcast.net
Thu Oct 16 21:47:16 PDT 2008

William Kyngesburye wrote:
> On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Sergio Zárate Pedroche wrote:
>> In a different issue, QGIS will not read volumes (an external firewire
>> drive).
>
> I think this is a known issue.  I thought there was work done to add a
> Mac version of the open dialog, but I guess it's not ready yet.
>
> Hmmm... aliases don't work as a workaround - it completely ignores aliases.
>
> Tom: what happened to the Mac open/save dialogs plan?

I did a proof-of-concept which fixed only qgisapp.cpp (Add Vector/Raster
Layer). This was not submitted to svn. The next step would have been to
create a QgsFileDialog class to be used in place of QFileDialog so that
the fix is made for all file dialogs, not just those in qgisapp.cpp.

I then did the 0.11 release without this fix and noticed that my extra
volumes were appearing in file dialogs. I concluded that some other
change to Qt 4.4.1 somehow fixed this since my bug report (212103) is
still marked pending/unscheduled.

About three weeks ago, I deleted com.trolltech.plist and my extra
volumes disappeared. Apparently, QFileDialog::setSidebarUrls adds items
  to the sidebar permanently rather then just for the current
instantiation of the QFileDialog. Thus running my proof-of-concept once
made all future runs of any Qt app see my extra volumes so I thought the
problem was fixed.

About two weeks ago, the non-native dialog disappeared from Qt 4.5. All
  Mac file dialogs are native. Appending extra controls to Mac native
file dialogs hasn't been implemented yet so the QGIS Encoding popup is
currently unavailable in Qt 4.5.

At this point, it looks like if we do nothing, the problem will go away
when Qt 4.5 is released (which may be around January). Qt 4.5 Carbon
seems to work as well as Qt 4.4 for those who want native dialogs now.
Qt 4.5 Cocoa is quirky but also usable (no splash screen, no icons in
menus, some dialogs appear half off screen).

Tom