[Qgis-user] (no subject)

John C. Tull john.tull at wildnevada.org
Fri Oct 17 19:46:28 PDT 2008

On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:47 PM, Tom Elwertowski wrote:

> William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Sergio Zárate Pedroche wrote:
>>> In a different issue, QGIS will not read volumes (an external
>>> firewire drive).
>> I think this is a known issue.  I thought there was work done to
>> add a Mac version of the open dialog, but I guess it's not ready yet.
>> Hmmm... aliases don't work as a workaround - it completely ignores
>> aliases.
>> Tom: what happened to the Mac open/save dialogs plan?
>
> I did a proof-of-concept which fixed only qgisapp.cpp (Add Vector/
> Raster Layer). This was not submitted to svn. The next step would
> have been to create a QgsFileDialog class to be used in place of
> QFileDialog so that the fix is made for all file dialogs, not just
> those in qgisapp.cpp.
>
> I then did the 0.11 release without this fix and noticed that my
> extra volumes were appearing in file dialogs. I concluded that some
> other change to Qt 4.4.1 somehow fixed this since my bug report
> (212103) is still marked pending/unscheduled.
>
> About three weeks ago, I deleted com.trolltech.plist and my extra
> volumes disappeared. Apparently, QFileDialog::setSidebarUrls adds
> items  to the sidebar permanently rather then just for the current
> instantiation of the QFileDialog. Thus running my proof-of-concept
> once made all future runs of any Qt app see my extra volumes so I
> thought the problem was fixed.
>
> About two weeks ago, the non-native dialog disappeared from Qt 4.5.
> All  Mac file dialogs are native. Appending extra controls to Mac
> native file dialogs hasn't been implemented yet so the QGIS Encoding
> popup is currently unavailable in Qt 4.5.
>
> At this point, it looks like if we do nothing, the problem will go
> away when Qt 4.5 is released (which may be around January). Qt 4.5
> Carbon seems to work as well as Qt 4.4 for those who want native
> dialogs now. Qt 4.5 Cocoa is quirky but also usable (no splash
> screen, no icons in menus, some dialogs appear half off screen).

Tom,

Thanks for pointing out the Qt4.5 dialog change. That has been a
concern for me as well, but now that Qt is moving to a native dialog
it should be considered fixed.

On a side note, with Qt4.5 carbon built from today's snapshot, the
grass plugin fails to compile. I had to disable grass in order to get
a finished qgis trunk build. Because qt is not stable, I have not
filed a bug.

The file dialog worked well. Very nice, indeed.

Cheers,
John