[Qgis-user] course and plugins BUT BUGS

stefaan dondeyne stefaan_dondeyne at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 03:23:05 PDT 2008

I'd like to confirm Paolo's statement from my experience teaching qGIS to local staff of the Ministry of Environment in Mozambique

Some annoying bugs I came across is (I am not sure to which extend this are known issues - if need be a can give more details)

* with the geoprocessing tool (0.41) doing a clip operation, clipping points with a polygon - worked fine when it concerned a single polygon (boundaries of a province), but when it was a complex polygon - a province defined by several district boundaries - some of the points got lost !!!  It worked well doing it in GRASS though, (but for beginners it is confussing mixing GRASS with qGIS); in the geoprocessing tool it's actually called intersection - would be more appropriate if it were called clip

* I also had trouble joining polylines (roads), the geoprocessing tools 0.41 - seems not to work with line type (really only with polygons ?) and the plugin "spatial operation" (version 0.2) seems to allow it, at first  - but refussed alleging that the layers are in different projection systems (while they are not).

Interesting doing the clip operation (as explained above) with this tool (cutting out points with "district polygons") also lost some points on the way (though less) and shifted the points a little bit south east wards ...

* and a last point I like to raise - and I know it's I known issue - it is really a pitty that you can't have labels automatically aligned with lines (say name of rivers along rivers or elevation along contour lines - as this is straightforward gvSIG ... For me this should really be something to work out (as a fix may be a tool which adds the local angle of a line segment in attribute table automatically would already be great)

Cheers and many thanks to all those who are developping this great programme

Stefaan

Stefaan Dondeyne (PhD)
Ecologist/Environmental Advisor
CP 121 Chimoio - Mozambique