[Qgis-user] recompiling gdal: problems with QGIS?

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sun Oct 19 06:42:06 PDT 2008

Agustin Lobo wrote:

> For the future, if the user is installing a QGIS binary (i.e., ubuntu
> using Synaptic), is there any way to tell QGIS to use the gdal version
> included in FWTools? And/or would just copying the appropriate gdal*
> programs from the fwtools bin_safe directory to the /usr/bin directory
> work?

The need for a gdal which includes copyright encumbered formats pops up
on the various mail lists every few months, if my memory servers. Today,
preparing the whole qgis tool chain is not trivial - and that's really
the only way to get the gdal options you want. IIUC, you *can not* just
copy binaries, *.dll's or *.so libs from fwtools into the qgis path.
Perhaps the "cleanest" solution would be to ask the package maintainers
to supply a "gdal-good", "gdal-bad" and "gdal-ugly" in the same fashion
that non-free audio codecs are available in binary packages. This way
the QGIS project and  distros could stick with the FOSS only policy, but
a private user could choose to download from some 3rd party repository
an expanded package with the additional libraries he needs- just like
fwtools, but merged into qgis.
I realize that I'm asking already overworked package maintainers to take
on a whole new line of production, but it  would definitely be a boost
to the popularity of QGIS to be able to grab a windows or ubuntu binary
with ecw support built-in. The QGIS people themselves cannot do this
since the licensing of ecw is too restrictive regarding redistribution
and changes - even tho' the source code is available - and won't fit in
with GPL. (Somehow, gvSIG managed to sidestep this issue?). So the only
way around for users who want a working GIS software stack, without the
chore of recompiling everything is to depend on a friendly neighborhood
package maintainer who is willing to compile gdal against the ECW libs.

Regards,
Micha