[Qgis-user] scaling bug?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Oct 22 01:45:17 PDT 2008

Hi Werner,

QGIS is correct when displaying different map scales when panning the
map in certain projections.

As an example, the default map projection (EPSG 4326) in QGIS, is a
projection where the map scale varies accross the dataset. At 0 latitude
(equator) it has a different map scale compared to Europe or the poles.
For certain projections the scale is only valid in the center of the map
or at the parallels (lines of equal latitude).

Projections can be complex, but if you don't change the default
projection, QGIS is probably right if it displays different map scales
when you pan the map. You probably have to adopt the projection to the
projection most often used in the country you live in.

Andreas