[Qgis-user] QGIS windows v's linux from a newbie perspective

Darren Norris doon75 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:21:48 PDT 2009

Thanks Augustin and Andreas,
Due to apparent incompatibilities at the moment with some of the
functionality I need under windows ( mainly from GRASS ) I am strongly
leaning towards linux (openSUSE for me). Seems a safer bet in the mid to
long term. I will go for a couple of days of pain and try on a virtual
machine to see how it goes.

Just for anyone who's interested - found a guide on how to add
ECW/Mrsid support in QGIS (for Ubuntu - in Portuguese but doesn't affect
linux syntax and of course take due care with licensing issues!):
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Instalar_Grass_e_Qgis_em_Ubuntu_8.04_(com_ECW_e_MrSID).

For those who don't speak Portuguese here's googles English translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.osgeo.org%2Fwiki%2FInstalar_Grass_e_Qgis_em_Ubuntu_8.04_(com_ECW_e_MrSID)&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=pt&tl=en
.
Not that I'd really know but it doesn't look too bad - guess the process
would be similar under openSUSE (I think so but have limited linux
experience)?

Thanks for all the comments and help,
Darren