[Qgis-user] QGIS windows v's linux from a newbie perspective

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Apr 2 05:03:04 PDT 2009

so in my opinion you should contact the companies involved with MrSID and
ecw to change their licence in some sort of dual licence like other
companies did (e.g. Trolltech, MySQL). After all they are interested in
widespread use of their technology - so they should open up and change
their licence so it can become a regular component of gdal/ogr. Otherwise
I don't see an easy solution.

An alternative would be to ask the data providers for their original data.
I am sure they have their data somehwer available with lossless
compression - they wouldn't throw their originals away - would they? Both
MrSID and ECW are lossy compressions ...

Andreas

On Thu, April 2, 2009 10:44 am, Agustin Lobo wrote:
> I absolutely disagree. I'm not the question, I can compile (provided
> the appropriate directions are there). The problem is that if my 30
> students twice a year have to
> compile or, worse, have to hire someone to do it in order to
> be able to use mrsid/ecw, they will just keep using windows. Or not
> using qgis.
>
> Linux cannot be a system for which you have to either become
> able of compiling QGIS or hire someone to do it. If this were the case,
> binaries should not be distributed.
>
> Agus
>
> Craig Leat wrote:
>>
>>> ECW is easy to compile on Linux. I never tried to compile MrSid.
>>>

>> MrSid seems to becoming the standard format for government raster data
>> here, so I self compile. Compiling on Ubuntu with MrSid libs is no big
>> deal and the performance of the MrSid SDK is excellent, in my
>> experience. Those that need ECW and MrSid and feel strongly against
>> compiling themselves, should hire someone to do it for them.
>>
>> Craig

Andreas Neumann
http://www.carto.net/neumann/
http://www.svgopen.org/