AW: [Qgis-user] Two or more maps in the print composer

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at aster.pl
Tue Feb 17 16:55:00 PST 2009

W wtorek 17 luty 2009 roku o godzinie 14:33:13 łaskaw(a) był(a) Pan(i) rzec:
> @Borys: Either I don't understand how to do it or what I am asking for
> is still not possible (as Marco said).
>
> I want to have a small overview map of the study area (e.g. the
> coastline vector map) and in the big map the land cover map (CORINE
> let's say).
>
> I select one map frame in the composer and then activate some layer in
> the legend. Then I select the other map frame (in the composer) and I
> activate some other map in the legend. Both maps (map frames) in the
> princomposer are updated and show the same map.

Let's assume your big map scale is 1:100 000 and the overview scale
is 1:1 000 000.

Go to the first tab of the layer properties window and switch the 'Enable scale
dependent rendering' on.
For the CORINE layer set scale ranges: min=1 max=500000
and for the coastline set: min=500000 max=100000000 (or anything very high)

Now if the scale is =< 1:500 000 only the coastline is displayed. If is >= 1:500
000, only the CORINE. Of course it works in the map canvas too, so don't be
surprised that one of the layers disappears from it.