[Qgis-user] qgis and saga (future) integration hypothesis

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 09:57:30 PDT 2009

2009/7/11 Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>

> Carlos Guâno Grohmann ha scritto:
>
> > The latest SAGA CVS is stable on linux, some bugs were fixed, and it
> > worked really well on my tests.
> >
> > RSAGA now also works on Linux, I helped Alexander Brenning on testing it.
>
> Hi Carlos and Giovanni.
> Thanks for the feedback. I see that they now have unofficial Ubuntu
> packages
> https://launchpad.net/~johanvdw/+archive/ppa<https://launchpad.net/%7Ejohanvdw/+archive/ppa>
> Could you please ask the SAGA devs to help preparing a proper Debian
> package, and possibly to upload it to Debian archives (of course
> splitting out core and GUI)? This way it would be much easier and
> efficient to test it, and therefore to start working on a possible
> integration.
> Also, a proper project management would help a lot - I found it scary
> the statement:
> "Best Way To Get Help
> Unfortunately, this project hasn't indicated the best way to get help.
> Contact the project's administrators to find out how to get help. "
> at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/saga-gis/support

In the next couple of weeks I'll begin working on this. The first step will
be the creation of some wiki pages to start gathering ideas and
contributions.

> How do you see an eventual plugin? Just a wrapper that calls SAGA
> commands, or something more complex?>

I don't know yet. The first thought was simply a python bridge, but the best
would be working at the data structures level to permit a low level
integration.
QGIS still needs some foundamental development on the raster side. It could
be a good occasion to work on both the tasks.

Could we start a dedicated wiki page?