Error loading HomeRange plugin on Mac OSX[was: Re: [Qgis-user] Fwd: Hello,]

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 01:53:19 PDT 2009

Il giorno mer, 15/07/2009 alle 22.20 -0600, Sebastian Cruz ha scritto:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: "John C. Tull" <john.tull at wildnevada.org>
> > Date: 15 July 2009 22:10:47 GMT-06:00
> > To: Sebastian Cruz <cruz.seb at gmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: Hello,
> >

> > Sebastian,
> >

> > I'm really not much better (any?) at figuring this stuff out than
> > you. I don't know why python would not be detected. Can you run
> > python from the terminal? If so, try a command like 'import rpy2'
> > and see what happens. Same with other modules you need.
> >

> > Frankly, the homerange plugin never quite worked for me on OS X. I
> > think it did for a while, then did not. I'm not sure why, and I gave
> > up. You may also look at the manageR plugin, but you will have to
> > learn R commands for doing your analyses. R is a great program, and
> > you can get the binary online. In fact, you should already have it
> > to get rpy2 working (I think). Don't forget, rgdal is available from
> > William's site as a binary. I assume you tried that.
> >

> > I would encourage you to contact the dev of the plugin if none of
> > the above helps. They are better at reading those outputs than I am.

Hi Sebastian,

first I apologise for lack of testing on Mac.
This error log is not telling so much about the source of the error...

Anyway, check if you have installed the correct version of the plugin:
for QGIS <1.0, use HomerangePlugin v1.x, for QGIS >=1.0, v2.x. Using
Faunalia 3rd party repository, the correct version only will be
available via Fetch Python Plugins.
I suggest also to check all dependencies and compatibility. On the wiki
page [0] there is a list of tested configurations.
As a final check, following John's suggestion, try importing manually
the modules in QGIS Python shell.

<code>
import rpy2.robjects as robjects
import rpy2.rpy_classic as rpy
</code>

and report on Animove Trac [1] any further problem.

The dependency check is left to the user at the moment - if anyone has
some idea about how to automate it, they are most welcome.
I can also tell you that manageR has very similar dependencies, so
making it work will also affect HR plugin.

BTW, if anyone has a running configuration for HomeRange plugin on Mac,
it would be nice to report all useful details and add them into the wiki
page :)

hope this helps and best regards,
Anne

[0] http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/GSoC2008Rbinding - will be moved on