[Qgis-user] gvsig mobile on ubuntu?

Fafner fredda.hallgren at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 14:10:18 PDT 2009

Hi,
sorry for going off-topic asking about gvSIG Mobile here, but I havent been
granted permission to post on the gvSIG mailing list/board. Ayway, as the
question pertains to capturing GPS data for later use in Qgis it's kinda
qgis-related.

I've been using Arcpad on Windows Mobile and Windows 7 to capture GPS data.
As suggested previously by ppl on this board I've tried gvSIG Mobile on the
PDA. It worked but was sluggish due to the limited processing power of the
PDA. Now I've got an UMPC with internal GPS, and I would like to give gvSIG
Mobile another go on this much more powerful setup (Fujitsu u820). The
problem is I want to run it in Ubuntu, and gvSIG Mobile dont come in
ubuntu-flavor. There is a XP version available that should be possible to
run using wine, but it doesnt have an exe installer (only a .bat file) and
I'm not sure how to proceed with the installation. Has anyone here managed
to get gvSIG Mobile running in Ubuntu?

There are also versions of gvSIG Mobile for Maemo and Freerunner (linux
based phone distros), could one of these be made to run in Ubuntu?

thanx / Fafner