[Qgis-user] gvsig mobile on ubuntu?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jul 21 16:23:04 PDT 2009

Fafner wrote:
> Hi,
> sorry for going off-topic asking about gvSIG Mobile here, but I havent been
> granted permission to post on the gvSIG mailing list/board. Ayway, as the
> question pertains to capturing GPS data for later use in Qgis it's kinda
> qgis-related.
>
> I've been using Arcpad on Windows Mobile and Windows 7 to capture GPS data.
> As suggested previously by ppl on this board I've tried gvSIG Mobile on the
> PDA. It worked but was sluggish due to the limited processing power of the
> PDA. Now I've got an UMPC with internal GPS, and I would like to give gvSIG
> Mobile another go on this much more powerful setup (Fujitsu u820). The
> problem is I want to run it in Ubuntu, and gvSIG Mobile dont come in
> ubuntu-flavor. There is a XP version available that should be possible to
> run using wine, but it doesnt have an exe installer (only a .bat file) and
> I'm not sure how to proceed with the installation. Has anyone here managed
> to get gvSIG Mobile running in Ubuntu?
>

> There are also versions of gvSIG Mobile for Maemo and Freerunner (linux
> based phone distros), could one of these be made to run in Ubuntu?
>
> thanx / Fafner

gvSIG is a Java app, my guess is that which device it runs on just
depends on which Java runtime you have - the mobile versions being
tweaked slightly to be smaller and work better on devices.

Since you're running Ubuntu any desktop app would work, you might want
to poke around gpsd and email the OSGeo-discuss list for ideas of other
apps that would work. Collecting GPS points is actually fairly simple
and could be done with a simple app written in (pick your favorite
language) since gpsd has an api.

Alex