[Qgis-user] Grid in print layout

John C. Tull jctull at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:15:56 PDT 2009

You can also use mapserver to do this. I would recommend looking at
that before trying GMT. You can use the mapserver export plugin to get
a template to work from for your finish maps. The grid then becomes
something as simple as adding a few lines manually to the mapserver
template. You can output the mapserver to an image format using the
commandline shp2img.

Here is an example of some code I have used for UTM grids in mapserver
files.

   LAYER
    NAME "grid"
    METADATA
      "DESCRIPTION" "Grid"
    END
    TYPE LINE
    STATUS default
    CLASS
      NAME "Graticule"
      COLOR 0 114 255
      LABEL
        COLOR  0 114 255
        FONT 'arial'
        TYPE truetype
        SIZE 20
        POSITION AUTO
        PARTIALS FALSE
        BUFFER 5
        OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
      END
   	END
    PROJECTION
       "init=epsg:26911"
    END

   GRID
    # LABELFORMAT DDMM
    # LABELFORMAT '%gÂș'  # dec degrees with symbol
    # MAXARCS 10
    # MAXINTERVAL 10
    # MAXSUBDIVIDE 2
     LABELFORMAT '%7.0f m'  # nice if a projected SRS used
     MININTERVAL 1000
   #  MAXSUBDIVIDE 2
   END
END # Layer

FWIW, I have switched to using the map composer in qgis. Although not
perfect, Marco has done an incredible job developing this part of
qgis, and I find I can produce very good print-quality maps. I am
pleased to hear that he will be adding the grid overlay soon!

Regards,
John