[Qgis-user] Public Repository for plugins...

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jun 8 12:40:53 PDT 2009

Sampson, David wrote:
> Is there a co-ordinated effort o house multiple QGIS plugins in the same
> place?
>
> I am thinking specifically of python plugins that deal with OGC type
> services.
>
> Sourceforge is a classic option
>
> There is also http://code.google.com/opensource/
>
> I am thinking one central place for people that don't want the overhead
> of housing their own code.
>
> The thought would be something like the following in the repo
>
> Repo ==>
> 	Plugin I	==>
> 			trunk
> 			branches
> 			tags
> 	Plugin II ==>
> 			trunk
> 			branches
> 			tags
>

> Basicaly housing a bunch of plugins in one place in one repo and
> different people are responsible for their different plugins and we all
> follow the "proper" way to package and distribute to the python plugin
> loader.
>

> Thoughts?

We've discussed it briefly previously and I believe Gary was looking
into how to do this so it would be integrated with the distribution site
http://pyqgis.org/

Although that appears to be down at the moment, it's where the Official
and Contributed Plugins are hosted from.

As I pointed out in a previous thread on this the model you wrote is
basically like trac-hacks.org, and feasible. There is some question as
to whether we should go with a DVCS to allow for more flexibility in
merging and trading pieces. It appears that some plugin devs prefer Git
or Mercurial over svn for this stuff.

Overall though I agree we need a central hub for plugin development to
make it easier to manage the Official ones and allow champions to easily
pickup where someone else left off.

Alex