[Qgis-user] Desktop metadata editing...

Sampson, David David.Sampson at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Mon Jun 8 13:09:41 PDT 2009

Ahh.. Metadata

As I am going through creating some plugins and learning about OWS
services and trying my hand at a catalogue plugin I got to thinking,
what does the open source world do for managin their metadata on their
desktop?

I know and quite like projects like geo-network and our own flavour at
http://geodiscover.cgdi.ca/  but I am curious as to what people use for
their desktop.

Back when FGDC was the spec of choice I used MP (metadata Parser) quite
extensively http://geology.usgs.gov/tools/metadata/tools/doc/mp.html but
with the new world of IS and the upcoming NAP (North American Profile) I
wonder what people are doing now.

Would a lean desktop editor help people in the workflow. Essentialy
maintaining their metadata on the desktop then exporting (through valid
XML) to publishing facilities such as geonetwork..

The idea is to couple data and metadata while people are working with
the data.

Are people working on this? Do open source solutions already exist?

Would a plugin for QGIS be useful? Or a desktop app that can hit many
softwares like GRASS, QGIS and others?

Thoughts?

Cheers