[Qgis-user] QGIS citation in the FAQ

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 01:26:23 PDT 2009

I will use waht is provided in the web, but
I think that the best would be having the Quantum GIS Development Team
writing an article with a general description of QGIS basic
characteristics, history and
roadmap. Something equivalent to:

Anselin, Luc, Ibnu Syabri and Youngihn Kho (2006). GeoDa: An
Introduction to Spatial Data Analysis. Geographical Analysis 38 (1), 5-22.

but including the url if possible. This would be the best reference to
be used in an article, as
what the interested reader would search in the reference is a general,
readable description of QGIS.

Also, another example would be R, which has a command citation():

 > citation()

To cite R in publications use:

R Development Core Team (2009). R: A language and environment for
statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing,
Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org.

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

@Manual{,
title = {R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing},
author = {{R Development Core Team}},
organization = {R Foundation for Statistical Computing},
address = {Vienna, Austria},
year = {2009},
note = {{ISBN} 3-900051-07-0},
url = {http://www.R-project.org},
}

We have invested a lot of time and effort in creating R, please cite it
when using it for data analysis. See also ‘citation("pkgname")’ for
citing R packages.

This is more on the line of what we have in the faq for qgis. (BTW, I
would move
or copy the citation from the faq to the home page of the web site).

So, animo!

Agus