[Qgis-user] Editing: advanced vs. basic, dropdown menus

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jun 17 13:26:57 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss again what it is "advanced" and what is "basic"
editing. I think many of the "advanced" tools are really "basic" tools.

As an example, the new node tool from Martin, as well as the undo/redo
buttons are definitely basic tools, not advanced. Also, I don't regard
the ring/island/part handling tools advanced. Those are really just
basic tools that need to be in the basic tools. In real world editing
cases you will always have islands/holes and disjunct polygons. This is
really not an advanced feature.

Currently I consider the following editing tools "sort of advanced":

* Simplify
* Merge
* Split

Over time, as we/you add more editing tools, I think some of the tools
that are now regarded "advanced" will be a basic tool. People will ask
for CAD-like editing features that aid geometric construction. Those
will be definitely advanced tools. I have also some editing tools in my
mind that I'd like QGIS to support some day and they will most probably
also be advanced tools.

I would also support Marco's idea of grouping all of the node tools into
a pull-down menu. Those editing tools are really starting to take too
much screen space. For those who are annoyed by the additional effort it
takes to switch between modes, there could be keyboard shortcuts. We
also have to think about small devices like netbooks where screenspace
is really precious. It is not very nice if most toolbars have half of
the icons hidden.

I understand Tim's argument of keeping things simple. On the other hand
pull-down buttons are quite common today. Many of the well-known
software packages use them, such as Adobe, Corel, Openoffice (partially).

As software packages are starting to get more and more features, at some
point you'll have to do a compromise of simplicity versus a crowded GUI.

If the opinions of people totally drift apart too much, maybe we should
have a setting that allows people to chose their favorite?

Just my two cents,
Andreas