AW: Re: [Qgis-user] New PostGIS SQL Query Editor Plugin

Düster Horst Horst.Duester at bd.so.ch
Thu Mar 12 13:25:16 PDT 2009

John,

I created the plugin due to the lack of possibility to visualize PostGIS
SQL Queries with resultant tables containing geometry columns. In
principle it should have a similar behaviour like the PgAdmin3 SQL
Editor. With the difference that the new plugin creates a geographical
view at the result too.

Mini docmentation:
1. You have to define a PostGIS connection with the PostGIS Connector
2. When you start the plugin for the first time, it will ask for a
temp-path because it has to store the resultant shape files into a
directory. For further sessions this directory will be used until you
change it with the ... button
3. select the former defined PostGIS connectin
4. Under the assumption you have a PostGIS Table called example with one
geometry-column you can use the plugin to execute the following query:

select * from example

when you hit the execute button or alternatively F5 the query is
executed and it produces a shape-file with the query result. But my
simple example doesn't make much sense. The use of the plugin makes
sense when you develop complex queries with joins, aggregations, filter,
functions etc. In this case you are able to develop your query and to
view the result directly and very easy. I think it is very helpful.

>Also, the plugin asks for a temporary directory to store files in, but
it seems that you need a permanent directory to work from. This is where
I am confused. Is this meant to perform queries on >existing postgis
tables, or is it meant to query a shapefile and then load it into
postgis? If the former, how does it improve on adding a postgis layer
and performing the query there?
In many cases when you develop spatial queries it is helpful to see the
result directly. Thus you have to save the query-result temporarily many
times until you have finished the development process. Than you can take
your query and make a view from it into the database, which you can load
directly from PostGIS via Postgres connector of course. The idea is to
have a developement tool it is not the idea to create persistent
queries. If you like to save your temporary query result to a non
temporary place, please use the QGIS save as shapefile command.

I hope that the intension and the use of the plugin will be a little
more precised.

Regrads
Horst

Dr. Horst Düster