AW: Re: [Qgis-user] New PostGIS SQL Query Editor Plugin

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 03:07:02 PDT 2009

Andreas,
> Thanks for providing this useful plugin.
>
> Following the discussion I suggest that you try using the MemoryProvider
> instead of Shapefiles. In many cases, one doesn't want to store the
> results of the query - so the memory provider would be a good place for
> the temporary storage of the result.
>
> If the user wants to store the results he can still write it to a
> shapefile or to Postgis.
>
> Here is some sample code for the MemoryProvider:
> http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/PythonBindings
> (search for memory provider)
>
> I haven't used it myself, but it looks like a perfect thing to use for
> your plugin.
>
> Andreas

+1

I use the memory provider for manageR, and it works like a charm. The
only issue is when you have extremely large layers, it eats up more
memory (obviously). Since PostGIS databases are often used because file
just don't cut it, you might want to use the memory provider with caution.

Now with the economic downturn in Ireland the way it is, that's probably
only worth about half a cent, but there you go ;-)

Carson

--
Carson J. Q. Farmer
ISSP Doctoral Fellow