[Qgis-user] Enabled plugins for Windows stand-alone installer, version 1.0.2

Michael Toews mwtoews at sfu.ca
Tue May 19 13:21:40 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've tested replacing qgis 0.11 with 1.0.2 at my office, and I've come across a few issues with the stand-alone Windows installer. (The OSGeo4W installer does not have any of these issues.)

As recently discovered, the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package needs to be installed on some systems. Can this be included with the installation?

On starting QGIS on a clean system for the first time, a message box shows "QGIS couldn't find your GRASS installation. Would you like to specify path (GISBASE) to your GRASS installation." After clicking "Cancel", another message: "GRASS data won't be available if GISBASE is not specified". There never was a GRASS installation on the system, so these dialogs come out of left-field for a basic user that does not know what GRASS is. It is also not obvious to a new user to suppress this message by turning off GRASS in the plugin manager.

After QGIS has started, the toolbar is FULL of icons. Inspecting QGIS Plugin Manager, I see that ALL installed plugins are enabled by default. This is excessive, and is/was not the case on 0.11 stand-alone or the current OSGeo4W versions.

Is it possible to revert to previous behaviour (or same as OSGeo4W behaviour), where none of the plugins are enabled by default? This will streamline the initial startup for a new user since it won't show the GISBASE messages, it will startup faster, and the interface will not be clustered with icons from all available plugins.

-Mike