[Qgis-user] gps plugin

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat May 30 12:28:37 PDT 2009

mtnbiketrail at zzz.com wrote:
> Thanks for clearing that up. I'm using a geotiff from California,
> Albers Equal Area, NAD83, and coords show as -268867,392264. No matter
> what I tried, I could not get the gpx to plot over the geotiff, even
> with projection on the fly. I wish I knew how to get the geotiff in
> clean.
I see in the EPSG database of projections that there's epsg code 3310
which is Albers Equal Area based on NAD83. If that is indeed the
projection of the geotiff, then you could convert the gps file to a
shapefile, (it will be in WGS84 Lat/Lon, epsg 4326) then use the fTools
extension to convert to epsg 3310. You'll then have a new shapefile
which should overlay on the geotiff properly.
--
Micha