[Qgis-user] QGIS intallation, Windows XP, TIFFUnsetField, libtiff.dll

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Sun Nov 29 03:06:45 PST 2009

Dear listers

Under Windows XP, I am trying to move from the standalone version of
QGIS "metis" (including grass) which is working satifactorily to QGIS
"mimas". As I need grass, I used the osgeo4w-setup.exe program as
recommended on the website of the current version and the "express"
installation. Unfortunately, at QGIS launch,  I get the following message:

"Le point d'entrée de procédure TIFFUnsetField est introuvable dans la
bibliothèque de liaisons dynamiques libtiff.dll", which should be
translated into "Cannot find the entry point of procedure TIFFUnsetField
in the dynamic link library libtiff.dll"

I have seen on the list that Agustin Lobo had a quite similar trouble:
<http://n2.nabble.com/Problem-with-TIFFSetField-in-libtiff-dll-td2271128.html>,

but I cannot find out if whether it was solved or not and if so how...

Moreover, when I start grass TclTk alone, I get the classical box where
I can specify where the grassdata are (so no problem), but after having
selected a favorite location, at the next step, I just get a box with a
long list of "errors in startup script".

My questions are:

1/ has someone had the same troubles and found a solution ?

2/ would it be recommendable for the ones who are quite basic users to
move to Kore rather than Mimas, and if so, is the Windows standalone
version including GRASS  (this is not specified on the download website)
? I am a bit afraid of using the osgeo4w-setup.exe program now (of
course it seems to give more flexibility in principle, but here it did
not lead to a viable installation and the earlier versions were so easy
to update).

Best,

Patrick