[Qgis-user] Re: QGIS intallation, Windows XP, TIFFUnsetField, libtiff.dll

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Sun Nov 29 08:41:15 PST 2009

Dear all,

To trigger a hoax about Windows/Linux comparison and QGIS vertues/misery
was far from my mind when I send this (I was believing naively) simple
and technical question to the list: how to get out of this and make
things work (see below) ?

I am a faithfull user of GRASS and QGIS in both environments (Windows
and Linux Ubuntu).  I can hardly understand the chain of reactions and
my only response was to send offlist to Mats: " Do not understand the
reason for your "rant". The trouble I meet does not come from Windows XP
but likely from the QGIS installer". By this, I do no mean any reproach
to developpers kind enough to work on tools which are useful to the user
community (and the students) and would hate to give them a bad feeling.
I just try to behave as a member of a user community, e.g. to signal
possible troubles and be ready to put ashes on my head if some of my
questions are idiotic or coming from an inadequate analysis of the
situation.

However this discussion about Windows and QGIS amplifying, it does not
provide an answer to the initial two simple, sincere, and technical
questions of a simple user, reminded below (lost for ever ?)...

Any hint ?

Cheers,

Patrick